Fire engulfed a garage on Rawhide Way and leapt to a neighboring roof before being extinguished Tuesday morning.
An estimated $100,000 in damage was caused by the 11 a.m. blaze believed to have started by a cigarette in a trash bin alongside the home at 201 Rawhide Way.
"Some trash caught fire, the wind picked it up and carried it up the side of the house and from there you can see where it went," said Capt. Phil Hernandez of the Carson City Fire Department.
Damage to that home, owned by Toni Hicby, is estimated at $75,000.
Hernandez said garage suffered structural damage.
"There is wall stud damage, the fire took off all the siding and the roof had pretty much burned clean," he said.
Three engines and 16 firefighters contained the blaze which brought to life this quiet tree-lined street of single family homes about five blocks from the sheriff's department.
Kathi Houk of 117 Rawhide Way was at work at Borda's Automotive when she got a call saying her next door neighbor's garage was in flames.
"And they said that my roof was on fire, but they got it under control," Houk said as she watched crews mop up the mess. "I'm so lucky."
Damage to Houk's home was mostly on the north wall of the attached garage. Flaming cabinetry hanging on that wall was carried out to the lawn by firefighters.
Two dogs, who were not immediately in danger, were taken from the Hicby home. Neighbor Dennis Phelps who lives two doors down, took the dogs from firefighters as they brought them out of the house.
"They're familiar with me, they'll be OK with me," he said.
Capt. Dan Shirey said saving the dogs proved to be a difficult task.
"They kept running back inside," he said.
Ron Goodwin, who lives directly across the street from Houk, sat in his garage as crews successfully saved the homes.
"It's sad to see something burn," he said solemnly.