by Susie Vasquez, Appeal Staff Writer

Back to: News
May 17, 2002
Follow News

Fire damages Carson City home

A fire in an upstairs bathroom left one man slightly injured and caused about $20,000 in damage to a house at 1513 Evan St. in Carson City.

Carson City Batallion Chief Stacey Giomi said a contractor was soldering some copper pipes in one of the upstairs bathrooms with a small hand torch when the paper backing on the insulation caught fire, spreading between the walls and into the attic.

The contractor, employed with Finch Construction, burned his hand. Both bathrooms and the attic space were damaged, but firefighters were able to prevent extensive damage to the bedrooms and the rest of house. According to Giomi, the first floor incurred some limited smoke damage.

"It was just material stuff," said homeowner Dave Hanson. " The dogs and my family are out safely and that's all I care about."

Two engines, two rescue units and a command officer responded to the 9:30 a.m. blaze, which was under control by 9:42 a.m.

Stories you may be interested in

The Nevada Appeal Updated May 17, 2002 12:00AM Published May 17, 2002 02:33AM Copyright 2002 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.