Virginia City's Ghost Night will be a Ghost Weekend, with spooky fun throughout the town.
Local saloons will offer Halloween parties during the weekend as well as on Monday, when the real Ghost Night will be celebrated.
Visitors and locals can join in a parade, special spooky tours and a Spooky Train Ride on the Virginia & Truckee railroad.
The Annual Goblin Parade will begin promptly at 5 p.m. Monday down C Street. Entrants need to arrive as early as possible. The registration will begin at 4 p.m. at the Virginia City Jerky Company, 204 South C St.
There will be awards for the Best Overall Costume, Scariest Costume and Most Unusual Costume, in adult and children's categories. There also will be prizes for Best Group Entry, Best Float or Vehicle, and Best Animal Entry. The parade will be judged, with judges located at the Bucket of Blood Saloon. Entrants need to be sure to show off their costumes to the judges.
Winners must fill out a form and pick up their prize after the parade at the Bucket of Blood. If they don't pick it up Halloween night, they must call 775-847-4768 to see if they won. The parade organizer will not make more than one effort to locate winners.
Parade forms are available at the visitors center, or by downloading one from www.VisitVirginiaCityNV.com.
Other activities also have been planned for the weekend:
• There will be safe trick or treating on C Street, with all open stores, restaurants and saloons giving out goodies.
• At the Virginia & Truckee Railroad, there will be a Haunted V&T Halloween Train, departing Virginia City, F Street depot, at 4 p.m., 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. Monday. Come in costume to ride through the enchanted creatures of night terrain, listening to the bone-chilling echoes from the dead, in one of the nation's most haunted towns. Cost is $12 adults ages 13 and up; $6 children ages 11 and younger. Warm clothing and cameras suggested for all trains. For more information or to purchase tickets online visit www.VirginiaTruckee.com or telephone 775-847-0380.
• Stop by for Trick or Treat at the Historic Fourth Ward School to visit the museum after hours from 6-8 p.m. on Halloween night. This will be the last chance to visit the museum this year, as it is closed from Nov. 1 to May 1.
• At the Silver Terrace Cemeteries on Cemetery Road just north of the Virginia City RV Park, visitors can walk through the cemetery and scare the heck out of themselves from 6-11 p.m. Cost is $5 for adults and $3 for kids. Bring a flashlight and try to find the glowing tombstone.
• Virginia City Ghost Tours have special Halloween Ghost Walking Tours on today, Sunday, and Monday. Tours begin at 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. There also will be an After Hours Investigation at 10:30 p.m. Only 10 tickets will be available for the investigation. The investigation meets in front of the Silver Queen Hotel. Ghost Tour tickets are $30 per person and the after-hours investigation is $70 per person. Tours meet at the Silver Queen Hotel. Advance ticket purchase only is available. For tickets, call 775-815-1050 or go to www.VirginiaCityGhostTours.com.
• Saint Mary's Art Center, formerly St. Mary Louise Hospital, is offering Haunted Halloween tours and sleepovers. For more information, visit www.VirginiaCityParanormal.com/upcoming-events.
The Comstock's saloons also will offer all kinds of Halloween fun.
• At the Ponderosa Saloon, the party will be 8 p.m. today with music by Lady and the Tramps, and a costume contest.
• At the Red Dog Saloon, the fun will stretch from today to Monday. On Saturday, Alias Smith will play the Halloween party with costume contest, and on Monday, Lady and the Tramps will play for the Freaker's Ball, also with a costume contest.
• The Union Brewery's Halloween Party will be at 7 p.m. on Sunday, with Hired Gunnz scheduled to perform.
• At the Gold Hill Hotel, there will be the annual Dance and Costume Party with Hired Gunnz band from 9 p.m. to midnight Sunday. There is no cover charge, and fine dining is served before the party. For more information, call 775-847-0111
For more information on things to do in Virginia City, go to www.VisitVirginiaCityNV.com or call the visitors center at 775-847-4386.
For overnight accommodations and more information on this and other events in Virginia City, log on to www.VisitVirginiaCityNV.com or call the Virginia City Visitor Center at 775-847-4386 or 800-718-7587.