Back to: News
September 2, 2012
Follow News

Thousands of Yosemite visitors risk exposure to deadly mouse virus

FRESNO, Calif (AP) — Up to 10,000 people who were guests in certain lodging cabins at Yosemite National Park might have been exposed to a deadly mouse-borne virus, park officials have confirmed.Park concessionaire Delaware North Co. sent letters and emails this week to nearly 3,000 people who reserved the insulated “Signature” cabins between June and August, warning them that they might have been exposed.The cabins hold up to four people, which means that up to 7,000 more visitors might have been exposed to the virus that so far has killed two people and sickened four others, park spokesman Scott Gediman said.Meanwhile, more than 1,000 calls a day are coming into Yosemite’s new hantavirus hotline as visitors frightened about the growing outbreak of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome call seeking answers.“We’re reaching out and they are reaching out to us, and we are trying in every way shape and form to be transparent and forthright,” Gediman said. “We want to tell people this is what we know. The most important thing is the safety of park visitors and employees.”

Stories you may be interested in

The Nevada Appeal Updated Sep 2, 2012 02:02AM Published Sep 2, 2012 02:01AM Copyright 2012 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.