John Bullis
For the Appeal

Back to: News
September 10, 2012
Follow News

John Bullis: Self-employed health insurance premiums include Medicare

We have written about how a self-employed person who has profits can deduct health insurance premiums on the front page of form 1040.

With the high unemployment rate and retirement savings not going as far as expected, there are more self-employed business owners than most folks would guess.

The IRS Chief Counsel, the agency's top attorney, has formally advised that a self-employed individual can deduct the Medicare insurance premiums in computing Adjusted Gross Income (claim on page 1 of form 1040).

Medicare Part B insurance premiums are deducted from the Social Security Benefit check. Since a check is not written …

Explore Related Articles

Trending in: News

The Nevada Appeal Updated Sep 10, 2012 07:36PM Published Sep 10, 2012 04:49PM Copyright 2012 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.