Once students get to middle school there is a perception, said Gavin Ward, vice principal of Carson Middle School, that parents no longer need to be involved. “This is not true,” he said. “We need to have parents. We want to have parents involved.”Particularly fathers. The school has joined a nationwide program Watch D.O.G.S — Dads of Great Students — to involve more men on campus.“The more fathers are involved, we see a reduction in discipline problems,” Ward said. “There’s just a ton of positives.”The program started last year with a handful of committed fathers, including Pat Anderson, the volunteer …
Dads needed as Watch D.O.G.S.
- Weather impact: I-580 back open in Washoe Valley; state workers sent home; WNC cancels classes
- Snow keeps falling, numerous crashes reported
- Jason Richard Thrift victim in fatal Gardnerville shooting
- Snow blankets Carson as cold front comes in
- Carson City Sheriff’s Log: Man arrested for allegedly knifing tires