The Associated Students of Western Nevada will host a regent debate for candidates seeking the District 9 seat 6-8 p.m. Friday in Marlette Hall, Cedar Building, at Western Nevada College’s Carson City campus. The debate will feature Nevada System of Higher Education candidates Michon Mackedon and Ron Knecht. The public is invited to ask the candidates questions.Knecht was elected to the Board of Regents in 2006, serving Carson City, Douglas, Lyon counties, as well as the southern portion of Washoe County. Mackedon is a WNC professor emeritus for English and humanities and the author of “Spinning Atoms in the Desert.” Mackedon worked as a WNC professor from 1981-2007.In addition to public access to the live debate, the two-hour discussion between the candidates can be remotely viewed from WNC’s Virgil Getto Hall, room 308 in Fallon and on the Douglas campus in the media classroom in Bently Hall. There also will be an interactive video link of the debate to Great Basin College in Elko. For information, call 775-445-3000. Libertarian VP nominee to visit PFLAG forumParents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays will hold a candidates night from 7-8:30 p.m. Thursday at the Business Resource Innovation Center, 108 E. Proctor St.Expected to attend is Libertarian vice presidential nominee Jim Gray. Many local candidates are attending and will be given time to speak. There will be a meet-and-greet reception where candidates can be approached with specific questions. For more information, call 775-303-8031.
- Carson City Highway 50 Save Mart to close, reopen as FoodMaxx
- Man killed in Carson City after crashing stolen vehicle attempting to flee deputies
- Lompa Ranch seen as a doggone good deal by Carson City Parks and Recreation Commission
- Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval authorizes emergency rules to hire out of state teachers
- Carson City Board of Supervisors approve downtown street contract