BIBLE THOUGHT: “As for Hannah, she was speaking in her heart, only her lips were moving, but her voice was not heard. So Eli thought she was drunk” (1 Samuel 1:13, NAS).Poor Eli! He let the godless culture get to him. He presumed that Hannah, too, was immoral and ungodly.In this day and age, I often find it easy to do just that. A common reaction to our culture is that the entire world is “going to Hell in a hand basket!”Years after our text, the prophet Elijah thought that he was the only faithful one left. God informed him that there were still 7,000 God-followers who had not yet yielded to the ungodly culture around them.Jesus promised that if we seek, we will find. It’s time for believers to search out and even expect good instead of only being negative, judgmental and condemning. God’s people should always be positive, hopeful, and encouraging.The faithful life of Hannah proved Eli wrong. The culture doesn’t always win. Believers’ lives of faith and love prove it again every day!• Bruce Henderson is the pastor of Airport Road, Church of Christ, Carson City.
- Carson City Highway 50 Save Mart to close, reopen as FoodMaxx
- Man killed in Carson City after crashing stolen vehicle attempting to flee deputies
- Lompa Ranch seen as a doggone good deal by Carson City Parks and Recreation Commission
- Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval authorizes emergency rules to hire out of state teachers
- Carson City Board of Supervisors approve downtown street contract