(AP) — Backers of a Nevada tax initiative that was invalidated by a state judge have filed notice of appeal with the Nevada Supreme Court.Carson District Judge James Wilson last month blocked the petition to impose a 2 percent margin tax on businesses making $1 million or more, saying the 200-word description of what it would do was deceptive. The initiative is backed by the state teachers union and other labor groups. It was challenged twice by a coalition called Committee to Protect Nevada Jobs.In documents filed this week, lawyers for the initiative say Wilson’s finding that the petition was flaw conflicts with a previous order that said the description was legally sound.Justices told lawyers to respond by Monday on whether the case can be decided on the record.
- Timothy (Tim) Lee Jennings
- Street Vibrations at Battle Born Harley-Davidson (VIDEO)
- Carson City boxing program brings benefits to those with Parkinson's disease clients (video)
- Two Carson City search warrant executed in connection with California murder
- Vintage at Kings Canyon comes before Planning Commission Thursday