There are several proposals about income tax rates in the future. Most of those proposals have a "threshold" of $200,000 for single taxpayers and $250,000 for joint returns.The new, additional 3.8 percent Medicare Surtax starts Jan. 1, 2013, for taxpayers with adjusted gross income above those thresholds who have investment income.What I don't understand is why the joint return threshold is not twice what it is for a single person.If a single person has a allowable Adjusted Gross Income of $200,000 before the 3.8 percent surtax may apply, why wouldn't a couple filing a joint return have a threshold of …
John Bullis: Is Congress suggesting divorce to save taxes?
- Weather impact: I-580 back open in Washoe Valley; state workers sent home; WNC cancels classes
- Snow keeps falling, numerous crashes reported
- Jason Richard Thrift victim in fatal Gardnerville shooting
- Carson City Sheriff’s Log: Man arrested for allegedly knifing tires
- Snow blankets Carson as cold front comes in