The Nevada Appeal's Silver Dollars & Wooden Nickels feature recognizes positive achievements from the capital region and, when warranted, points out others that missed the mark.SILVER DOLLAR: Take a moment today —as you should every day —to thank a veteran. Today, we celebrate the service of all military veterans — 21.5 million in all in 2011 according to the census. Thank them for their service, their bravery, their heroism and most of all the sacrifices they make to keep us safe. “To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations,” President Woodrow Wilson said upon first proclaiming Armistice Day for Nov. 11, 1919. SILVER DOLLAR: To the high voter turnout —90.76 percent — in Carson City during Tuesday’s General Election. More than 23,300 Carsonites participated in the democratic process.SILVER DOLLAR: To the Carson City boys and girls soccer teams for an outstanding season. While this page will deadline before Friday’s state semifinal games, the athletes represented Carson High proudly by becoming the cream of the north — capturing regional championships last weekend.
- Traffic light was out during fatal collision; Gardnerville woman dies
- Carson City Harley-Davidson dealership sued for $4 million
- Carson City Sheriff's Office: Man arrested on suspicion of domestic battery with strangulation
- Downtown Carson City signs aim to combat urban deer accidents
- Walton's Funerals & Cremations celebrates 50th anniversary with free senior resource rair in Carson City