After a first place finish in local competition, the Carson City Pop Warner midget and junior cheer squads head into regional competition confident about making nationals. It would be the first time in the program’s history if they make it to nationals. In preparation, the group is trying to raise funds.Scores at the district competition qualified the team for nationals, but they will compete in the regional event on Nov. 23 in Santa Clara, Calif. to make it final. The regional competition will determine which team will represent in the national event to be held from Dec. 3-8 in Orlando, Fla.Save for an initial sign-up fee, the Pop Warner cheerleading program is funded by donations and fundraising. Comprised of 32 girls, the squad is short $3,500 for the regional competition and $48,600 for the national competition.“We’re hoping that a large, corporate sponsor will recognize our situation and step forward,” said cheer coordinator Genevieve Dickinson. “The girls deserve and have earned the right to go to nationals. It will be a disappointment if they earn it at regionals and can’t get there because of money.”There will be a fundraising spaghetti feed from 4-7 p.m. Sunday at Empire Ranch Golf Course to help finance the regional trip. Cost is $10 per plate.To sponsor the team, contact Genevieve Dickinson at 775-297-6006 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Checks can be made payable to Carson City Pop Warner with the reference Cheerleading and sent to Carson City Pop Warner Midget Cheer, P.O. Box 1170, Carson City, Nev., 89702.
- Traffic light was out during fatal collision; Gardnerville woman dies
- Carson City Harley-Davidson dealership sued for $4 million
- Carson City Sheriff's Office: Man arrested on suspicion of domestic battery with strangulation
- Downtown Carson City signs aim to combat urban deer accidents
- Walton's Funerals & Cremations celebrates 50th anniversary with free senior resource rair in Carson City