The Dayton Stand Tall and Volunteer Connections youth volunteer groups will be hosting their 10th annual “Coats and Cans Drive” from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 14 at the Smith's parking lot in Dayton.Local families are in need of canned foods of all types, as well as holiday food items such as stuffing, yams, canned gravy, olives, etc. The groups are also welcoming donations of winter coats, hats and gloves of any size. These items will be made available to anyone in need at the Dayton Community Center. Items can also be dropped off at the Dayton Community Center from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.Stand Tall teams are sponsored by Healthy Communities Coalition and exist in each high school in Lyon, Mineral and Storey where teens learn leadership skills and work with schools and communities to prevent alcohol, tobacco and other drug use. They take on a number of projects every year to serve others, including coat, shoe and food drives. The volunteers raise funds for their own supplies by providing face-painting and other services at community events. Volunteer Connections is a program of Central Lyon Youth Connections that allows teens to earn one high school credit in exchange for documented volunteer work for community causes like food pantries, libraries, senior centers, etc. For more information, call Lavurne Jeffreys at 775-246-7550.
- Traffic light was out during fatal collision; Gardnerville woman dies
- Carson City Harley-Davidson dealership sued for $4 million
- Carson City Sheriff's Office: Man arrested on suspicion of domestic battery with strangulation
- Downtown Carson City signs aim to combat urban deer accidents
- Walton's Funerals & Cremations celebrates 50th anniversary with free senior resource rair in Carson City