Pliable “Gumby” Republicans and the media are telling us, in light of last month’s election results, that GOP candidates must move to the mushy middle to win elections. Really? Ronald Reagan was a conservative. He ran as a conservative. He governed as a conservative. And he won as a conservative. Twice.George H.W. Bush ran as a conservative, selling his candidacy as “Reagan’s third term.” He won as a conservative. Then he broke his conservative “read my lips, no new taxes” pledge and subsequently lost his bid for re-election.Bob Dole ran as a moderate. He lost.George W. Bush, 43, ran as …
Must Republicans embrace the mushy middle or perish?
- Weather impact: I-580 back open in Washoe Valley; state workers sent home; WNC cancels classes
- Snow keeps falling, numerous crashes reported
- Jason Richard Thrift victim in fatal Gardnerville shooting
- Snow blankets Carson as cold front comes in
- Carson City Sheriff’s Log: Man arrested for allegedly knifing tires