130 Years AgoTelegraphic jots: President Arthur moved into the White House and will “shake” with callers on New Years. Emma Nevada has signed a contract with Corvalho of the Opera Comique in Paris for 65,000 francs yearly.120 Years Ago All sorts: Empire was flooded Sunday and the water was 6 inches deep in Wiggins saloon. Stewart, “the fotygraffer,” has quit taking pictures in Carson and taken his departure. 70 Years AgoRed Cross: Christmas dinners complete with turkey pies were arranged for American prisoners of war in Camp Woosung, near Shanghai, with funds provided by the American Red Cross ... Fifteen hundred American officers, non-commissioned offers, private, merchant marine officers and civilian internees are being held in this camp...50 Years AgoNew Year’s Dance: Carsonites will have the opportunity to dance in the New Year in at the 20-30 club’s first annual New Year’s Eve dance scheduled for 9:30 p.m. until 1 a.m. at the Civil Auditorium. Music will be provided by the Paul Jones orchestra. Tickets are $1.50 per person. Chairman of the dance is John Brooks. Committee: John Sweetland, John Meder and Ed Stokke. 30 Years AgoAdvertisement: “Luxury Theatres – economy hour $2 adults $1 children. Now playing “Best Friends” and “The Dark Crystal — another world, another time... in the age of wonder” • Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
- Carson City Highway 50 Save Mart to close, reopen as FoodMaxx
- Man killed in Carson City after crashing stolen vehicle attempting to flee deputies
- Lompa Ranch seen as a doggone good deal by Carson City Parks and Recreation Commission
- Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval authorizes emergency rules to hire out of state teachers
- Carson City Board of Supervisors approve downtown street contract