While the senseless massacre of six- and seven-year-olds in Newtown, Conn., was horrific, it shouldn’t shock us. According to Marian Wright Edelman of the Children’s Defense Fund, nearly 120,000 children and teens have died due to gun violence since 1979. That’s about 10 dead children a day, every day, for the last 32 years. Apparently, this is our new normal.A new CDF report, “Protect Children, Not Guns,” released last week focuses on the risks of gun violence to children and makes a case for reasonable gun legislation as a matter of public health. I urge you to go to www.childrensdefense.org …
Fresh Ideas: This doesn’t have to be the new normal
- Trace Adkins' life an open book with 'A Personal Stand'
- Sportsman’s Warehouse official announces Carson City store
- Douglas County judge involved in fatal crash; investigation is ongoing
- Sportsman’s Warehouse opening at Carson Mall likely is set for spring
- Obituary: Robert (Bob) Noble Stutsman “Bear Claws”