For years I’ve been fascinated by parents who support their offspring even when the most repulsive crimes have been committed, as in the case of Colorado’s “Joker” alleged killer, James Holmes. His parents have said they’re standing behind him.I am well aware of biblical admonitions against judging others — “Judgment is the Lord’s.” But as parents, aren’t we expected to judge our children’s behavior by approving, disapproving, correcting and guiding them as they grow? For more years than I care to remember, I’ve watched parents ever more frequently allowing their kids to get away with everything short of mayhem without …
Bob Thomas: Does parental love, or guilt, justify forgiveness?
- Weather impact: I-580 back open in Washoe Valley; state workers sent home; WNC cancels classes
- Snow keeps falling, numerous crashes reported
- Jason Richard Thrift victim in fatal Gardnerville shooting
- Snow blankets Carson as cold front comes in
- Carson City Sheriff’s Log: Man arrested for allegedly knifing tires