Silver State High School's theater group, The Silver State Stars, will present “The Bully Plays/Winter Showcase” at 7 p.m. today, Friday and Saturday at the school's Performing Arts Building, 900 Mallory Way.The show will begin with a comedic one-act called “Take 5,” written by Westley M. Pederson.It begins with an actor on opening night trying to perform on a set that isn't completed. Then one actor doesn't show up, a man from the audience uses his stage phone to argue with his wife, the props either don't work or are missing, the lighting and sound cues are off and there are two silly, incompetent stagehands. That's only the beginning of this award-winning show. The show will continue with various competition pieces that will be going to the Northern Nevada Acting Competition in Reno on Feb. 2. These pieces include songs, monologues and scenes between two actors.The production will finish with selections from “The Bully Plays,” by various playwrights. This anthology was commissioned in response to the growing epidemic of bullying and the all-too-often tragic results.The plays are touching, imaginative, powerful, uplifting and funny. The trickle-down effect of bullying is explored in several plays, along with the dangers of cyber-bullying. The collection also includes a mimed piece and a play in rhymed verse. This collection of short plays challenges, inspires and enlightens the audience to confront the issue of bullying in a constructive and creative way. Call 775-883-7900 for more information.
- Carson City Highway 50 Save Mart to close, reopen as FoodMaxx
- Man killed in Carson City after crashing stolen vehicle attempting to flee deputies
- Lompa Ranch seen as a doggone good deal by Carson City Parks and Recreation Commission
- Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval authorizes emergency rules to hire out of state teachers
- Carson City Board of Supervisors approve downtown street contract