130 Years AgoFatal accident: Joseph Henderson, brakeman on the Carson and Colorado train, was knocked from the top of a car by the flume this side of Dayton. Dr. White examined him and found his skull to be fractured. He died at 9:30 a.m. He was a young man of 24 from Iowa and was well thought of by all who knew him...120 Years Ago Grand Masquerade: A St. Valentine Masquerade Ball and Concert will be given at the Carson Opera House... Elegant and costly prizes will be given... first and second for the best dressed couple, third and fourth for the best sustained character couple... Fredrick's Reno orchestra will furnish music. The grand maskers tableau with calcium light will take place at 9 p.m. Tickets $1.50 per couple...70 Years Ago Ration: The coffee ration will be one pound for the next six weeks instead of one pound for five according to the Office of Price Administration... 50 Years Ago The average Nevadan loses half his teeth by the age of 40 because of neglect. A trace of fluoride has been proved to reduce dental decay by 60 percent...• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
- Traffic light was out during fatal collision; Gardnerville woman dies
- Carson City Harley-Davidson dealership sued for $4 million
- Carson City Sheriff's Office: Man arrested on suspicion of domestic battery with strangulation
- Downtown Carson City signs aim to combat urban deer accidents
- Walton's Funerals & Cremations celebrates 50th anniversary with free senior resource rair in Carson City