RENO — Washoe County School District officials say newly mandated EpiPens have come in handy in two separate allergy incidents this month alone.
School district officials say an eighth-grader who had a severe allergic reaction after sampling foods in a cooking class was given an emergency epinephrine shot by the school nurse on Feb. 12. Nurse Robin Reinders says that by the time the ambulance arrived, the boy’s symptoms had subsided.
A similar incident happened Feb. 14, when a ninth-grader had an allergic reaction during lunch. School officials say they used an EpiPen while waiting for the ambulance, and the student is now back in school and feeling fine.
Nevada legislators passed a law in 2013 requiring schools to keep epinephrine shots to treat students immediately during severe allergic reactions.