The Associated Press

Back to: News
February 27, 2014
Follow News

Washoe County sees spike in syphilis cases

RENO — The Washoe County Health District is warning about a significant increase in sexually transmitted diseases in the Reno-Sparks area.

District spokeswoman Jennifer Howell says the number of cases of syphilis that reached the primary or secondary stage doubled in each of the past two years — from eight in 2011, to 16 in 2012 and 32 last year.

A total of only eight of those kinds of cases were reported in the three previous years combined.

The primary and secondary stages are considered contagious.

The total number of cases — including later stages that are not contagious — has gone from 23 in 2011 to 78 in 2013.

Howell says most of the increase involves Reno’s homeless community as well as men who have sex with men without a condom.


Explore Related Articles

The Nevada Appeal Updated Jun 27, 2014 04:38PM Published Feb 27, 2014 01:49PM Copyright 2014 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.