John Barrette
jbarrette@nevadaappeal.com

Back to: News
April 4, 2014
Follow News

Subdivision closer to reality

A minor hurdle was cleared Thursday by the Board of Supervisors for development of 424 homes on Carson City’s south side.

The Schulz Ranch project, which is planned to go up in four phases, is the first major subdivision in years. Board members were told the first phase of 100 homes is “in current review, so we’re moving.” That word came from Susan Dorr Pansky, city planner, who was on hand to answer any questions before the board’s final reading approval of the ordinance at hand.

The ordinance was a formality to amend the Schulz Ranch development agreement with the city to add the phasing plan for improvements, allowing developers to move forward. The project proposal, first approved in 2005 and given an extension in 2011, had been in limbo but is being brought out of mothballs as the Great Recession slowly fades from the construction scene. The action Thursday also cut the subdivision down from the original 521 housing units.

The agreement is between city government, Schulz Ranch LLC, and Ryder DUDA LLC. The development will go at the city’s south edge in the vicinity of Edmonds Sports Complex.

The board rejected a bid from Herback General Engineering and accepted one from Sierra Nevada Construction, Inc., after finding the latter followed bid proposal procedures in the bidding process for a water intertie line.

The amount for the so-called Costco Intertie and Vista Grande Waterline was almost $1.13 million, plus a contingency figure not to exceed $113,000. The project will be funded from the Public Works capital projects/construction accounts.

The board reviewed and accepted a Fleet Management Utilization Study from Moss-Adams LLC, city government’s internal auditing consultant. The board also directed city staff to bring back a plan for implementation of the study findings and recommendations, which could reduce city vehicles by 27 and offer projected savings of $156,500 in the first year. The study said it could save an estimated $915,000 over a decade.

Finance Director Nick Providenti provided the board an early look at his work on the city’s general fund capital improvement budget for next year and beyond.

For Fiscal 2014-15, he said, there is about $600,000 available and $4.6 million on the wish list. Board members again were reminded deferred maintenance needs keep piling up while financial resources remain skimpy.


Explore Related Articles

The Nevada Appeal Updated Jun 27, 2014 04:41PM Published Apr 4, 2014 12:47AM Copyright 2014 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.