The Associated Press

Back to: News
May 19, 2014
Follow News

Sparks shooting prompts review of school intercoms

SPARKS, Nev. — Washoe County School District officials are reviewing school intercom systems after investigators found the one at Sparks Middle School wasn’t working the day of a fatal schoolyard shooting in October.

The Reno Gazette-Journal reported Monday as of last year the intercoms were fully functional in less than half of the district’s 93 schools.

The newspaper cites documents the district released last year during its campaign urging higher taxes to finance school repairs. They show 35 had intercom systems listed as “expired.” Another 25 were listed as “expired but serviceable.”

District operations chief Pete Etchart says that doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t work. He says it means they no longer are economically serviceable and need to be replaced.

The Sparks school’s principal says she tried to announce a “Code Red” but the intercom didn’t work.


Explore Related Articles

The Nevada Appeal Updated May 19, 2014 09:34PM Published May 19, 2014 07:47PM Copyright 2014 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.