If you enjoyed Dinesh D’Souza’s fantasy “2016 in America,” you may fall for his latest epic “America.” Much a blend of the same half-truths and non-truths, this right-wing magnet poses the question, “What would have happened to America if George Washington had been killed by a sniper back when.
The question is never answered in this slick piece of propaganda, nor are the five questions that D’Souza asks but never really answers. The one thing we get a lot of in this travesty of bending the truth or ignoring it is lots of scenes of D’Souza talking, eating a hot dog and all the tropes of patriotism when reality fails. It even attacks Hillary Clinton as a dupe of Saul Alinsky. Or duping poor old Saul. 1916, here we come!
There is so much ridiculous with “America” that it’s a waste of time to write a serious review.
This won’t stop the tea party folk from loving the movie and rewarding D’Souza with right-wing profits, even as he admits to his guilt in vote rigging. Of the royalist bent, you’ll love all the phony baloney; if a serious, conservative you’ll wince.
• Don Taylor - President Abraham Lincoln
• Michelle Swink - Mary Todd Lincoln
• Josh Bonzie - Frederick Douglass
• Janitta Swain - Madame C. J. Walker
• Rett Terrell - Alexis de Toqueville
• Russell W. Reed - Actor at Ford’s Theatre
• John Koopman - George Washington
• Tina Fortune - Hispanic worker
• Casey Allen - Crew member
• Rodney Luis Aquino - Hernan Cortes
• Joey Arguello - East Indian
• Michael D. Arite - Major Henry Rathbone
• Oscar Azul - Officer
• Andrew Baker - Lucayan Indian
• Chad Baker - Gustave de Beaumont
• Katy Baker - Audience member at Lincoln-Douglas debate
• Diana Baracaldo - Lucayan Indian
• Mateo Baracaldo - Lucayan Indian
• Chris Barber - Middle Eastern Sheik
• Crystal Barragan - East Indian Lucayan Indian
• Brian Rubright - Priest
Gerald R. Molen
Bryan E. Miller
The Associated Press contributed to this report.