Nevada Appeal Staff Report

Back to: News
May 11, 2013
Follow News

Candle starts early-morning fire on John Street; no one hurt

A lit candle was the probable cause of a small fire Friday morning at a house and business on John Street.

The fire was reported about 3 a.m. by a person who noticed smoke coming out of the second floor at 108 E. John St. Firefighters forced their way into the first floor of the residence and woke the residents and their dog, instructing them to leave, Carson City Battalion Chief John Arneson said. No one was hurt.

Firefighters then doused a small fire on the second floor, which houses the business, Touched by Business.

“There was very minor damage,” Arneson said. “The dry wall did its job and kept the fire within the room, and we got there rapidly.”

Although the smoke alarms in the upper half of the two-story house were going off, the detectors in the lower half were not because they were not connected to the second floor alarms.



Explore Related Articles

The Nevada Appeal Updated May 11, 2013 01:38AM Published May 11, 2013 01:38AM Copyright 2013 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.