Memorial Day weekend events
• A fundraiser for restoration of the Fourth Ward School Museum will be at 5 p.m. at the old Hill Hotel, 1540 Main St. with “Mark Twain’s Connecticut Home” presented by Steve Courtney and an introduction by Ron James. Dinner seating is from 5-6:30 p.m. with a lecture at 7:30 p.m. Cost is $45 general; $100 preferred seating. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 775-847-0111.
• Rides on the Virginia & Truckee Excursion Train between Virginia City and Gold Hill departs the depot at F Street and Washington Street in Virginia City between 10:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday. Adult tickets are $9 for diesel, $11 for steam. Children 5 to 12 are $4.50, kids under 5 free. An all-day pass for steam is $24 and for diesel it’s $18. For more information, call 775-847-0380.
• Carson City Ghost Walk tours leave promptly at 6:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. Tours depart from 3rd and Carson streets next to the St. Charles Hotel (Firkin & Fox restaurant). The tour is 90-minutes of the downtown district’s historic homes and covers lingering spirits of the past, haunted and paranormal stories. For tickets go to http://brownpapertickets.com.
• A Memorial Day ceremony hosted by the Marine Corps League’s Silver State Detachment will be at 10:30 a.m. at the Stewart Indian Cemetery on Clear Creek Road, east of Highway 395. The event will feature the Color Guard from Carson High School, Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, Marine Corps League, the Salvation Army and WWII veterans.
• A Memorial Day Service will be at 1 p.m. in the veteran’s section at Lone Mountain Cemetery, 1044 Beverly Drive. Call 775-887-2111 for more information.
• Virginia City Memorial Day Service, hosted by Carlin Camp 25 and Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, will be from 2-2:30 p.m. at Silver Terrace Cemetery in Virginia City. For more information, call 775-972-7420 or go to www.suvpac.org.
• Red, White & Blue Summer BBQ will be from 1-7 p.m. at the Carson Nugget’s West Lot. There will be live music, food and drinks, games and kids activities. Admission is free.
• Evergreen Gene’s 5th annual Memorial Day BBQ takes place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., 1811 N. Carson St. Hot dogs, hamburgers, watermelon and more is free. Veterans receive 25 percent off their entire purchases this day. For more information, contact Gene or Rowena at 775-882-1807, 775-530-0946 or email email@example.com.
• Opening weekend for the V&T. For more information and reservations, go to vtrailway.com or call 877-724-5007.
• 150th Anniversary of the formation of the 1st Battalion, Nevada Volunteer Cavalry takes place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with Civil War encampment and displays. A parade will take place at noon Saturday.
• Nevada State Railroad Museum, 2180 S. Carson St., is hosting rides on the historic Virginia & Truckee McKeen Motor Car and museum access to all the exhibits from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 775-687-6953 for more information.
Events can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.