A Storey County domestic battery case, started nearly three years ago, came to its teary conclusion Monday morning in district court.
Judge James Russell sentenced Nathan Adakai, 25, to a little more than 1½ years to four years in prison, with no probation. Adakai, dressed in the blue jeans and blue shirt of the prison system, already was in prison on other charges.
Adakai pleaded guilty to domestic battery third offense earlier. The attack happened when the victim was 17 and Adakai was 23. Judge Russell said he considered the ages, Adakai’s seeming lack of remorse and his criminal record when it came to sentencing.
“You’re taking very limited responsibility,” Russell said. “It’s like it’s all her fault, but I’m going to move on with my life.”
Both the defense and prosecution had recommended a sentence of a year to 2½ years.
Adakai read a multiple-page statement to the court.
“What I am guilty of is being an unfaithful boyfriend,” he read. “I’m sorry I wasn’t the man I should of been ... (the victim), myself and God are the ones who know the truth,” he read, after accusing the victim of trumping up the allegations against him.
“This was a horrible, toxic relationship for both of them,” said Chief Deputy Public Defender Karin Kreizenbeck, his defense attorney. “He doesn’t admit to everything she says. He admits he had bad judgment ... yes, he put his hands on her.”
“Next to my bed, I have a knife. I’ve gotten a guard dog,” the victim read, through tears at times. She said she carries multiple knives in her car and other places in her house and fears reprisals from the incarcerated Adakai and his friends. While at a baseball game, Adakai’s friends threw rocks at her, she said.
“Almost three years later, I’m able to move on with my life,” she said.
DAYTON MAN GETS PROBATION AND DRUG COURT FOR BURGLARY
A Dayton man who broke into his employer’s office to feed his heroin addiction was granted diversion, put on probation for up to three years and ordered into drug court.
William Johnson, 22, pleaded guilty to burglary in May after he broke into Michael Hohl Honda and was apprehended by a K-9 unit, from which suffered puncture wounds, according to the sheriff’s office.
Johnson had previously been ordered to complete boot camp. The recommendation from that program was to grant diversion so he would not have a felony on his record, which would prevent him from joining the military.
He also was ordered to pay $2,562.19 in restitution.
“I commend you for how well you did at boot camp, but don’t let anybody down,” Judge Russell told Johnson.
Deputy District Attorney Melanie Porter said the severity of the case meant the state’s position would be against diversion.
“He broke in in the middle of the night. That’s just simply not a case that deserves diversion,” she said.