Steve Ranson

Follow Me

Back to: Crime
March 31, 2013
Follow Crime

Fallon police capture driver who led law enforcement on 100 mph chase

The 24-year-old driver of a Ford Mustang who eluded the Nevada Highway Patrol Saturday night has been captured by Fallon Police within the city limits.

Sgt. Dave Cox, supervisor of the Nevada Highway Patrol’s Fallon District office, said the FPD apprehended Tyler Leggett of San Diego about nine blocks from the area where police and sheriff deputies conducted a house-to-house search Saturday night on Colorado and Noel lanes and Dani Street. Capt. Vern Ulrich of the FPD said officers nabbed Leggett on Taylor Street and Williams Avenue. He said law enforcment officers searched all night for Leggett and had received photos of him from Oregon.

Cox said the NHP began pursuing a Ford Mustang 18 miles north of Hawthorne shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday after it passed another vehicle in a double-yellow stretch of U.S. Highway 95. An NHP trooper attempted to stop the Mustang, but Leggett sped off, heading toward Churchill County. Cox said the NHP trooper radioed ahead.

According to additional police reports, the Walker River Tribal Police joined the chase and tried to stop the vehicle with spike strips, which did not work. The driver continued to lead officers on a chase with speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.

As the car traveled toward Fallon, Cox said both the Fallon Police and CCSO laid down spike strips, which punctured all four tires. Ulrich said the vehicle traveled through Fallon at speeds of 60-70 mph and finally stopped at Colorado lane and Taylor Street.

Cox said Leggett and his female passenger, Ashley Robinson, 30, also of San Diego, left the vehicle on foot, but the NHP soon arrested her. After her capture, Robinson gave the name of the driver to troopers. Ulrich said police officers, the Churchill County Sheriff Department and the NHP immediately conducted their search of the neighborhood. Ulrich said no one was injured in the pursuit, and there were no accidents within the city.

Cox said Leggett was transported to Mineral County, where the initial pursuit occurred, but Robinson will remain in Churchill County since she did not commit a crime in the neighboring county.

Cox said Leggett is being charged with speeding, felony eluding an officer, failure to maintain a control device (double yellow line) and resisting arrest. Cox did not have specific charges against Robinson.

Cox said the NHP is still investigating the incident.

This is the third high-speed chase to occur in Churchill County since June 2011.

On June 3, 2011, two people died as a result of a chase that began in Mineral County and ended with a gun battle in a Fallon residential area.

Before gunfire was exchanged on South Taylor Street (U.S. Highway 95), a head-on crash between two compact vehicles occurred near the intersection of U.S. Highway 50, killing a 75-year-old Missouri man.

In late August of the same year, a man led law enforcement officers on a two-hour-long high-speed chase through Mineral, Churchill and Lyon counties.

Churchill and Lyon county deputies, Fallon police and the NHP chased Mark Trindidad Cuellar of Las Vegas for nearly two hours. He was captured with the assistance from five different agencies including the Washoe County K-9 unit and the RAVEN helicopter.

Stories you may be interested in

The Nevada Appeal Updated Mar 31, 2013 11:55AM Published Mar 31, 2013 02:07PM Copyright 2013 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.