Carson City man receives life sentence for sexual assault
June 30, 2014
A Carson City man was sentenced to 35 years to life on Monday on seven different counts of illegal sexual acts with minors.
James G. Johnson, 49, was convicted after a four-day April 4 trial where jurors deliberated nine hours before finding him guilty on all counts.
Johnson testified at trial and denied the allegations, but the jury found Johnson guilty of three counts of sexual assault upon a child under the age of 14, a single count of sexual assault upon a child under the age of 16, and three counts of lewdness with a child under the age of 14. Johnson faced seven life sentences and 160 years minimum for the crimes he committed.
At sentencing, the state sought a minimum sentence of 160 years.
Assistant District Attorney Mark Krueger argued that the court should run Johnson's sentences consecutively because each act was a separate act that changed the victim's life forever.
"While the pain and memories of the assaults for this victim will not be erased, her mind and body may now be at peace knowing her assailant will no longer abuse her," Krueger said.
Recommended Stories For You
The Court followed the recommendation of the Department of Parole and Probation and chose to run each of the counts concurrently. As a result, Johnson received a single life sentence with eligibility for parole after 35 years.
The jury found Johnson guilty of sexually assaulting the victim from January 2005 until December 2012. While the seven counts of assault occurred in Carson City there were allegations that additional sexual assaults occurred while the they lived in Lyon County. At sentencing, the victim came forward and told Johnson that she can "finally eat and sleep because it won't happen again."
"This conviction once again proves our Office is committed to seeking justice for some of our most vulnerable victims, children," said District Attorney Neil Rombardo. "I believe this conviction on seven counts of sexual acts committed on a child represents the most serious verdict for these types of crimes in Carson City to date."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Reno man arrested on felony parole violation after fight says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Two arrested on suspicion of drug trafficking says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Arrest made involving vehicle used to try to hit people, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Reno man arrested on felony failure to appear says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- 2 arrested on fugitive from justice charges, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Carson High School senior makes supporting classmates and kids a priority
- Dennis Hof says Bunny Ranch looking into sex-bots
- Homeland Security funding formula doesn’t recognize Vegas’s real population
- SlotWorld Casino in Carson City closing Sunday for remodel
- Carson City Board of Supervisors to hear Lompa Ranch project developer agreement