Carson man sentenced in shooting
May 3, 2014
RENO — A Carson City man has been sentenced to life in prison for the gang-related shooting death of a man near Aces Ballpark in downtown Reno.
Washoe County District Judge Lidia Stiglich handed down the sentence Thursday to 27-year-old Arturo Bolanos Jr. for the October 2011 slaying of Macario Ortiz.
In February, a jury found Bolanos guilty of first-degree murder with a deadly weapon, three counts of attempted murder and two counts of battery with a deadly weapon.
Washoe County Chief Deputy District Attorney Chris Hicks said Bolanos fired 12 shots from a laser-equipped assault rifle into an SUV at a parking garage south of the stadium, killing Ortiz and injuring two other men.
Bolanos will be eligible for parole after 20 years on the murder charge. He also must serve a consecutive sentence of 16 years with parole possible after 3½ years for use of a deadly weapon.
Trending In: Crime
- Three arrested in connection with meth lab in Carson City
- Nevada Transportation Authority investigator arrested again
- Man arrested on possession of a controlled substance, failure to appear, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Man arrested on child neglect, domestic battery, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Corrections guard arrested on domestic charge in Carson City