Update: Prisoner in escape attempt identified
August 27, 2014
A Warm Springs prison inmate was recaptured Tuesday evening after an apparent escape attempt.
Brian Kakowski, 41, was "observed outside the perimeter fence" just before 6 p.m.
According to a release from prison officials, he was kept in site at all times and officers responded, capturing Kakowski less than a mile from the prison on East Fifth Street.
A spokesman said he was never in contact with any civilians outside the prison.
He was back in custody after just 10 minutes and immediately transferred to Northern Nevada Correctional Center, a more secure medium security facility. Kakowski was sent to prison on June 2, to serve 13-60 months for failure to stop on the signal of a peace officer.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Reno man arrested on felony parole violation after fight says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Arrest made involving vehicle used to try to hit people, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Two arrested on suspicion of drug trafficking says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Reno man arrested on felony failure to appear says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- 2 arrested on fugitive from justice charges, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Carson High School senior makes supporting classmates and kids a priority
- Dennis Hof says Bunny Ranch looking into sex-bots
- Homeland Security funding formula doesn’t recognize Vegas’s real population
- ‘I just didn’t know how else to say ‘thank you’ | Woman donates to Carson City Sheriff’s Office after they help her find missing wallet
- SlotWorld Casino in Carson City closing Sunday for remodel