Barrick pledges $1.2 million to Great Basin College
June 3, 2014
Barrick Gold of North America has pledged nearly $1.2 million to Great Basin College in northeastern Nevada.
The pledge extends a partnership with Barrick that started in the 1980s when the mining company began operating in Nevada. This latest commitment will support the college’s Virtual Himanities Center, Maintenance Training Cooperative and GBC’s Career and Technical Education programs. It will also provide outreach and recruitment of Western Shoshone students.
Barrick spokesman Tim Buchanan said the company is especially pleased since the funding will encompass previous work with the Great Basin Indian Archive
Campus President Mark Curtis said GBC is very fortunate to have Barrick’s support, which totals more than $7 million over the past 20 years.
Trending In: Government
- Equal Rights Amendment to be heard Monday in Nevada Legislature
- Nevada lawmakers asked to OK work on Capitol and at Stewart
- Carson City Board of Supervisors tentatively raise property tax
- Las Vegas lawmaker wants test scores nixed from teacher evaluations
- Study: State construction in Northern Nevada on target