Barrick pledges $1.2 million to Great Basin College
June 3, 2014
Barrick Gold of North America has pledged nearly $1.2 million to Great Basin College in northeastern Nevada.
The pledge extends a partnership with Barrick that started in the 1980s when the mining company began operating in Nevada. This latest commitment will support the college's Virtual Himanities Center, Maintenance Training Cooperative and GBC's Career and Technical Education programs. It will also provide outreach and recruitment of Western Shoshone students.
Barrick spokesman Tim Buchanan said the company is especially pleased since the funding will encompass previous work with the Great Basin Indian Archive
Campus President Mark Curtis said GBC is very fortunate to have Barrick's support, which totals more than $7 million over the past 20 years.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Government
- Carson High School senior makes supporting classmates and kids a priority
- ‘I just didn’t know how else to say ‘thank you’
- Dennis Hof says Bunny Ranch looking into sex-bots
- Homeland Security funding formula doesn’t recognize Vegas’s real population
- SlotWorld Casino in Carson City closing Sunday for remodel