Harvey Whittemore to appeal convictions, prison sentence
October 1, 2013
RENO — Lawyers for ex-Nevada lobbyist Harvey Whittemore have filed a formal notice of intent to appeal his three felony convictions and two-year prison sentence for funneling more than $130,000 in illegal campaign funds to Sen. Harry Reid.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco is unlikely to hear the case before the wealthy developer and former political power broker is scheduled to begin serving his sentence on Jan. 31.
Las Vegas defense attorney Dominic Gentile filed the notice Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Reno, a day after Judge Larry Hicks ordered Whittemore to pay a $100,000 fine and serve 100 hours community service.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Government
- Lawsuit seeks to stop fracking
- Nevada’s Sandoval prefers governors’ healthcare plan over Heller’s bill
- Senate passes bills to stop human trafficking; Nevada’s Heller a co-sponsor
- Bill raises Nevada’s minimum liability car insurance
- GOP hopes again for Obamacare repeal; Sandoval against bill, Heller supports it