Heller backs fire-reduction bill
July 19, 2013
Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nev., has joined in sponsoring legislation aimed at improving federal cooperation with non-federal agencies, part of an effort to reduce the risk of wildfires.
He said the Stewardship Contracting Reauthorization and Improvement Act will better enable the Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service to work with local officials on land-management projects. It would allow federal agencies to entire into contracts with public and private entities to do such projects, he said.
"It is vital we remain prepared for what is perhaps the most potent issue we face every summer, catastrophic wildfires," Heller stated.
"Look no further than the Carpenter I and Bison fires that have devastated nearly 52,000 acres to date."
Trending In: Government
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Two top AG’s staffers win reprieve on license status pending July bar exams
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Arrest made in Carson City Cal-Ranch Store burglary