Heller backs fire-reduction bill
July 19, 2013
Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nev., has joined in sponsoring legislation aimed at improving federal cooperation with non-federal agencies, part of an effort to reduce the risk of wildfires.
He said the Stewardship Contracting Reauthorization and Improvement Act will better enable the Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service to work with local officials on land-management projects. It would allow federal agencies to entire into contracts with public and private entities to do such projects, he said.
“It is vital we remain prepared for what is perhaps the most potent issue we face every summer, catastrophic wildfires,” Heller stated.
“Look no further than the Carpenter I and Bison fires that have devastated nearly 52,000 acres to date.”
Trending In: Government
- Equal Rights Amendment to be heard Monday in Nevada Legislature
- Nevada lawmakers asked to OK work on Capitol and at Stewart
- Carson City Board of Supervisors tentatively raise property tax
- Study: State construction in Northern Nevada on target
- Health care advocates urge U.S. Sen. Heller to host town hall