Sandoval: Energy secretary talk ‘frank and blunt’
July 19, 2013
Gov. Brian Sandoval described his conversation with U.S. Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz as "frank and blunt."
The two talked Thursday about Sandoval's objections to a plan to ship waste materials that officials consider highly radioactive to the National Security Site in Southern Nevada. Sandoval and others say the material is high-level waste and unsuitable for the site. The Department of Energy wants to ship more than 400 containers of the U-233 waste to Nevada.
"While we agreed to disagree on specific points, we committed to having a continued open dialog and further discussions on this important matter," Sandoval said after the talk.
Sandoval requested a talk with Moniz in June but got no answer. His second letter last week was more strongly worded asking for a meeting as soon as possible.
Moniz responded two days later.
There was no indication in a news release that the Energy Department plans to back away from the plan.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Government
- Carson High School senior makes supporting classmates and kids a priority
- Dennis Hof says Bunny Ranch looking into sex-bots
- Homeland Security funding formula doesn’t recognize Vegas’s real population
- SlotWorld Casino in Carson City closing Sunday for remodel
- Carson City Board of Supervisors to hear Lompa Ranch project developer agreement