Stockton to challenge Nevada Sen. Kieckhefer in primary
August 29, 2017
Roger Stockton, a self-described conservative strategist, on Tuesday announced plans to challenge Ben Kieckhefer in the Republican primary for state Senate District 16.
The district includes southern Reno/Washoe County as well as Carson City.
He criticized Kieckhefer's vote for Gov. Brian Sandoval's tax increase to fund public education as the largest tax increase in state history. He also charged Kieckhefer voted "for the biggest crony handouts Nevada has ever seen."
He said those votes "highlight his (Kieckhefer's) disconnect between the isolated world of lobbyists and the real world of working people."
Stockton said he will focus on prioritizing state spending, education reform based on no excuse accountability and innovation and "business growth without taxpayer handouts."
Stockton spent 32 years as a fire and emergency services worker.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Government
- Coordinator hired to battle opioid crisis
- Most Nevadans won’t be affected by healthcare subsidies cuts
- Nevada Democrats join bill to ban high-capacity gun magazines
- Bill raises Nevada’s minimum liability car insurance
- Nevada state workers receive raise in proposed state budget by Gov. Brian Sandoval | 2017 Nevada Legislature