White powder forces evacuation of prison administration building
May 21, 2014
The Department of Corrections Administration Building was evacuated Wednesday morning after employees discovered a white powder in a piece of mail.
Capitol Police Chief Jerome Tushbant said investigators quickly determined that the powder was not dangerous and not a threat to health or safety.
The case was being investigated by the Capitol Police, which has responsibility for the building, one of several used by state agencies at the Stewart complex along the southern border of Carson City.
Corrections spokesman Brian Connett said the building was evacuated as a precaution.
Tushbant said investigators are working to confirm the identity of the person who sent the white powder.
“It’s non-hazardous,” he said.
He declined to give further details, saying the case is under investigation.
Trending In: Government
- Equal Rights Amendment to be heard Monday in Nevada Legislature
- Nevada lawmakers asked to OK work on Capitol and at Stewart
- Carson City Board of Supervisors tentatively raise property tax
- Study: State construction in Northern Nevada on target
- Las Vegas lawmaker wants test scores nixed from teacher evaluations