Oasis student writes winning essay
July 20, 2017
Oasis Academy College Prep student McKenna Jaques, who will enter ninth grade next month, wrote a winning essay for the "Discover Your Nevada" essay contest in spring — out of 160 submissions.
Submitted by her English teacher, Berenice de Leon, Jaques' winning entry was a quick assignment the student said; yet in a letter from the Department of Education Northern Nevada office, it said, "The judges were impressed with the tone, irony and sense of wonder she conveyed in the essay."
As a reward, Jaques, her mother and Jaques' best friend will be touring Nevada sites including ghost towns in August with the Nevada Department of Tourism and Cultural Affairs.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Lahontan Valley
- Gardnerville woman held on 11 felonies, according to Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Nevada’s public retirement system unfunded liability falls again
- Man with anchor tied around legs 1 of 2 bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- New tattoo parlor holding opening party Saturday
- 15 set to graduate from Carson City Regional Fire Academy