Run club hosts track event
May 3, 2013
The Clockwork Running Club had itself a rewarding experience.
Members of the group and teachers from Cottonwood Elementary School in Fernley organized a track meet two weeks ago to display the benefits of an active lifestyle.
The event featured the 100-, 200-, 400- and 800-meter races and a 5K. The athletes were paired with a volunteer — Jerry Gantar, Marianne Woller, Trevin Goodrick, Katie Owens and Traci Ricks — who ran with the youngsters in each race.
Brandolyn Thran worked with the staff at Cottonwood during the past school year to help build the program.
Clockwork, though, began a running program at the school more than a year ago, and thanks to a grant from Cottonwood to cover the cost.
Anytime Fitness in Fernley donated running shirts for the children, while Jay Horsley of Clockwork provided medals for the top finishers.
"It's an after school program and we had 34 entries," Ricks said. "The kids and parents had a blast. There was constant cheering and everyone was so happy. The kids were real proud of themselves."
Trending In: Lahontan Valley
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition