Weapons theft results in 10-year sentence
August 14, 2014
A 24-year-old Fallon man was sentenced up to 10 years in prison Tuesday in District Court on a burglary charge.
Miguel Enrique Semental stole more than $5,000 worth of items from Wal-Mart including "multiple" AR-15 assault rifles earlier this year, according to Churchill County Chief Deputy District Attorney Lane Mills.
Mills also said Semental faces additional charges in Fernley stemming from the burglary. Mills said Semental has a warrant for "taking a vehicle and resisting."
In addition, Mills said when Semental attempted to sell the weapons he stabbed a man at Terrible's Casino when the deal went south. Although Semental's Lyon County case is pending, Mills said there is video and witnesses to the stabbing.
Semental's attorney, Dave Neidert, argued in court for his client's participation in the Regimental Discipline Program (boot camp) and a three to nine-year sentence during Tuesday's hearing. Neidert said the steeper prison term would be an incentive for Semental to complete boot camp before returning to court.
Despite his attempt, Neidert's argument did not sway the court.
Recommended Stories For You
His client was initially charged with six counts — four felonies — after he entered Wal-Mart and took four AR-15's along with co-defendant Ryan Seilhymer.
In other court news —
A 33-year-old Fallon man received a suspended prison sentence for stealing numerous firearms.
Stephen Charles Cheek was placed on probation for up to five years after receiving 12-32 months in prison suspended. He changed his plea to no contest in June.
He, along with Raymond King, stole eight firearms from David Barkley on Nov. 30, 2012. Cheek was originally charged with nine felonies, but was able to negotiate a plea deal through his attorney.
According to Churchill County Deputy District Attorney Michael Winn, four of the weapons have not been recovered. Winn said the weapons may have been sold or bargained for methamphetamine, which he said Cheek has been using for the past 13 years.
In addition, Jessica Nunes, who was present when the two men returned from the heist, received a suspended sentenced to 9 months in county jail for ex-felon not to possess a firearm and one to three years for ex-felon not to possess an electric stun device.
A New Mexico man and Lovelock woman were sentenced Tuesday in District Court up to 32 months in prison for their role in a theft from Walmart earlier this year.
Tyler Ray Wilson and Sara Ann Wilson each received a 12-32 month sentence for grand larceny of personal goods or property between $650-$3,500.
Both were on parole when the entered the Fallon store on July 13 and stole numerous items before they were arrested.
Gary Charles Stutsman received a suspended prison sentence after pleading guilty to one count of possession of a controlled substance.
He was placed on probation for up to five years and referred to Drug Court.
Christopher Odell Dagnan received a suspended sentence after pleading guilty grand larceny of personal goods or property between $650-$3,500.
He will be on probation for up to five years and must pay more than $4,500 in restitution. If he violates his probation, Dagan faces up to 32 months in prison.