Back to: News
August 19, 2014
Follow News



Are you commissioners from the Nevada Commission on Mineral Resources willing to sign a paper accepting both civil and criminal liability if my groundwater becomes contaminated from fracking?

In January of this year, my wife and I purchased a home in Gillman Springs, smack in the middle of Nevada. We fell in love with the people and scenery that make up this rural community in the foothills of the Big Smoky Valley.

We are alarmed with the applications for fracking near our new home in Lander County.

I have talked with everyone involved in the approval process, and remain unconvinced that my groundwater is not going to be affected. As you know, Nevada is the driest state, and to contaminate the groundwater and my retirement years will be ruined.

Two issues that alarm me are as follows:

1. The fluid that is used to frack. It seems convenient that I would not be able to test for it because its proprietary ingredients are only known to a few officials. This fluid never leaves the ground.

2. There is no plan B, no contingency plan for a spill, or plan for containment after contamination. This seems to be a careless way to develop Nevada’s natural resources. Who will compensate me when I’m unable to water my garden or drink the water? Who will buy my contaminated land?

Steve Fisher

Gillman Springs

Stories you may be interested in

The Nevada Appeal Updated Aug 19, 2014 06:19PM Published Aug 19, 2014 06:19PM Copyright 2014 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.