Staff report

Back to: News
October 2, 2013
Follow News

Lahontan Elementary School evactuated for gas leak, no injuries reported

At approximately 10:50 a.m., a staff member at Lahontan Elementary reported smelling natural gas in the building. Principal Mike Hogan implemented the safety protocol, evacuated the building and called 911, CCSD Director of Maintenance and Southwest Gas.

The Fallon/Churchill Fire Department and Fallon police responded to the call. Southwest Gas evaluated the building using their sniffing technology and determined that there was no leak and the building was safe to occupy. Students and staff were readmitted to Lahontan at 11:45 a.m.

After students were readmitted to the building, Southwest Natural Gas continued to check the exterior line providing natural gas to the building. In doing so, they identified a gas leak in the northeast section of the property. The gas was shut off at the primary gas main and the leaking pipe is being replaced.

Due to repair work, traffic may be rerouted for student pick up.


Explore Related Articles

Trending in: News

Trending Sitewide

The Nevada Appeal Updated Oct 2, 2013 02:03PM Published Oct 2, 2013 02:03PM Copyright 2013 The Nevada Appeal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.