Rachel Hendrix, a Nevada State high school rodeo champion who graduated from Churchill County High School in 2013, was found dead Sunday morning in the living accommodations of her horse trailer in southern Utah.
Churchill County Sheriff Ben Trotter said his department received a call from the Iron County Sheriff’s Office. Trotter said officer Dave Mitchell reported Hendrix apparently died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Trotter was told that the boyfriend, Wayce Pulham, notified the Iron County Sheriff’s Office. At last report, Trotter said Pulham was in the hospital with carbon monoxide related symptoms.
Trotter said his office notified her father, Clay Hendrix, of her death early Sunday evening.
Hendrix, who was one of the state’s top female cowgirls in high school rodeo, was attending Southern Utah University in Cedar City.
Friends have been commenting on social media since news of her death was known.
Kassi Venturacci of Fallon, who was a top female rodeo performer Nevada before competing at UNLV expressed her sorrow:
“My heart goes out to you Rachel. You were an amazing young girl and you were a role model to so many little cowgirls. Rest in Peace up there with your grandpa. Know that there are girls at all the rodeos saying I want to be just like Rachel Hendrix. A beautiful talented cowgirl.”
Cailee Sue Hall said Hendrix touched so many lives.
“Heaven gained a heck of a cowgirl and an even better person!” Bailey Corkill
Bailey Corkill, the national high school rookie of the year who competed at CCHS and later at UNLV, wrote from Weatherford, Texas.
“My heart is heavy this morning hearing about the passing of such a young life. My thoughts and prayers are with the Hendrix family, RIP Rachel.”