Alarm saves sleeping teen
October 7, 2003
Carson City resident Martha Simas credits a smoke alarm with saving the life her 17-year-old son, Dan, about 9:40 a.m. Monday. The fire started in a mattress in their home at 3169 Gordonia St. and Dan was sleeping in an adjacent room.
“Someone was smoking in bed,” Martha Simas said. “The Fire Department said we don’t have any structural damage, just some smoke damage.
“Today, a smoke detector saved a life,” she said.
The Carson City Fire Department responded with two engines, a rescue unit and two battalion chiefs. Two deputies from the Carson City Sheriff’s Department were also on the scene, said Dan Shirey, operations battalion chief for the Carson City Fire Department.
The fire was extinguished in minutes and there were no injuries, Shirey said.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016
- Open house at historic Carson City site to honor Native American heritage
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Major disaster declaration for Nevada, Carson City