Barbara Myers to resign from Carson City School Board
April 25, 2013
After serving just over half of her term, Barbara Myers will resign her seat on the Carson City School Board on April 30 to care for her ailing daughter, she announced this week.
"It was time to do what we have to do," she said. "While I didn't know. God knew. He's ultimately in charge of my life and its twists and turns. While I'll miss you all, I will be happy to be near my grandchildren."
Myers ousted Randy Carlson for the District 6 seat in 2010. She served eight years on the Nevada State Board of Education and also served 12 years as a trustee in a California school district.
"It's really hard to leave something like this," she said. "For me to quit something in the middle is really tough."
She said she had planned to stay until the May 15 budget hearing but learned airline restrictions banned pets from flying May 15-Sept. 15 due to heat. She changed her plans to fly with her cats to her new home in Grand Rapids, Mich., on May 14. Her husband will follow in the car, she said.
Brian Wallace, president of the Ormsby County Education Association, wished her farewell on behalf of district teachers.
"Your input and all the insight you have brought, especially at the state level, has truly been a blessing for us," he said. "Thank you for your time and service."
Myers, a vocal member of the board, will be missed, said board president Lynnette Conrad.
"I haven't always agreed with Barbara, but I have valued her insight and advice," Conrad said. "I wish you all the best in your new endeavors."
A replacement for Myers will be appointed to the board until the 2014 election.
"We will begin advertising on the first of May," said Superintendent Richard Stokes. "We will try to have an agenda item for the first meeting in June to interview and select a replacement."
Myers said she hopes there will be interest in the position.
"Hopefully, they get somebody who is involved and will ask tough questions," she said.
Anyone interested in applying for the District 6 seat should call the Carson City School District Office at 775-283-2100.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat