Candle starts early-morning fire on John Street; no one hurt
May 11, 2013
A lit candle was the probable cause of a small fire Friday morning at a house and business on John Street.
The fire was reported about 3 a.m. by a person who noticed smoke coming out of the second floor at 108 E. John St. Firefighters forced their way into the first floor of the residence and woke the residents and their dog, instructing them to leave, Carson City Battalion Chief John Arneson said. No one was hurt.
Firefighters then doused a small fire on the second floor, which houses the business, Touched by Business.
"There was very minor damage," Arneson said. "The dry wall did its job and kept the fire within the room, and we got there rapidly."
Although the smoke alarms in the upper half of the two-story house were going off, the detectors in the lower half were not because they were not connected to the second floor alarms.
Trending In: Local
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Two top AG’s staffers win reprieve on license status pending July bar exams
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Arrest made in Carson City Cal-Ranch Store burglary