Carson City man arrested on felony vehicle-embezzlement count
February 18, 2014
The following people were booked into the Carson City Jail. All suspects are innocent until proved guilty in court:
• 10:31 p.m.: Thomas Wilson Surles, 54, of Carson City was arrested in the 2600 block of U.S. Highway 50 East on suspicion of felony embezzlement of a motor vehicle. According to Surles’ arrest report, a deputy saw a vehicle at a gas station that had been described in a briefing as embezzled. Surles reportedly said the vehicle was his father’s and that he had permission to drive it, and the deputy verified the embezzlement report via the vehicle identification number. Bail was set at $20,000.
• 9:31 p.m.: Vivian Donna Leman, 34, of Carson City was arrested in the 100 block of Corbett Street on two criminal-contempt warrants out of Carson City. Total bail was set at $6,000.
• 3:45 p.m.: A 28-year-old Dayton man was arrested at the Carson City Jail on a warrant out of Carson City. Bail was set at $3,000.
• 5:02 p.m.: A 67-year-old transient was arrested in the 1900 block of Pinion Hills Drive on suspicion of expired plates and no proof of insurance, as well as on two contempt-of-court warrants out of Carson City. Total bail was set at $1,340.
• 8:44 p.m.: A 28-year-old transient was arrested in the 400 block of North Carson Street on a violation-of-a-suspended-sentence warrant out of Carson City. Bail was set at $3,000.
• 3:22 p.m.: A 25-year-old Carson City woman was arrested in the 500 block of East William Street on suspicion of possession of drug paraphernalia, failure to stop at stop sign and turn signal required. According to the woman’s arrest report, a deputy saw her fail to stop properly at a stop sign and fail to use her turn signal. He gave the woman a written warning, and another deputy arrived with a drug-sniffing dog. The woman reportedly refused to consent to a search, and the dog indicated during an exterior search that there was a drug odor in the vehicle. The arresting deputy reportedly found foil with fresh black marks in the center console consistent with heroin paraphernalia. Total bail was set at $1,075.
• 9:15 a.m.: A 27-year-old Carson City man was arrested at 1700 Russell Way on suspicion of suspended registration and driver’s license revoked, as well as on a failure-to-appear/traffic warrant. Total bail was set at $825.
• 12:46 a.m.: Daniel Connet, 19, of Dayton was arrested at Fairview and North Edmonds drives on suspicion of DUI-first offense, failure to maintain lane and headlights required. According to Connet’s arrest report, a deputy pulled him over because his headlights weren’t on. Connet reportedly said he hadn’t had anything to drink, then dumped the contents of his wallet into his lap while looking for his driver’s license. He reportedly had a blood-alcohol level of about 0.215. Total bail was set at $1,065.
• 2:36 p.m.: David Michael Sanchez, 31, a transient, was arrested in the 1500 block of East Robinson Street on suspicion of felony prevent/dissuade victim from reporting a crime, possession of a prescription drug without a prescription and violation of a restraining order. According to Sanchez’s arrest report, an ex-girlfriend reported that he’d knocked loudly on her door about 8:30 a.m., and that he’d taken her phone when she answered the door. She said she had no other way to contact police. The woman reportedly tried to leave with her infant son when Sanchez briefly left about 11 a.m., but Sanchez returned. She said she tried to keep him calm and eventually gave him a ride to another location. A deputy found Sanchez there, and he reportedly admitted going to the woman’s home, texting her, calling her and taking her phone. The deputy reportedly found a pill bottle on Sanchez containing 10 Advil pills and three alprazolam pills, which are available by prescription only. Total bail was set at $13,500.
• 3:15 a.m.: A 26-year-old Reno woman was arrested in the 1200 block of Buzzy Ranch Road on suspicion of first-degree domestic battery. Bail was set at $3,000.
• 6:20 p.m.: Clayton Keebaugh, 47, of Gardnerville was arrested at Snyder Avenue and Bigelow Drive on a felony parole-and-probation violation. According to Keebaugh’s arrest report, a deputy saw him walking on the side of the road and approached them, then deemed he was under the influence of narcotics. Keebaugh reportedly acknowledged that he was on parole for possession of a controlled substance and acknowledged he’d used methamphetamine in the past 20 minutes. No bail was set.
• 9:38 p.m.: Anthony Eugene Woolery, 45, of Carson City was arrested at Airport Road and U.S. Highway 50 East on a felony parole-and-probation violation. According to Woolery’s arrest report, a deputy saw him riding a bicycle without lighting and learned he is on probation and has a 9 p.m. curfew. No bail was set.
• 12:51 a.m.: Charles Walker Jr., 33, of Gardnerville was arrested at Robinson and Carson streets on suspicion of DUI-first offense, failure to maintain travel lane and driving with a revoked/suspended registration. According to Walker’s arrest report, a deputy saw his vehicle cross travel lanes after receiving a report of a possibly drunken driver leaving a casino parking lot. Walker reportedly had a blood-alcohol level of 0.274. Total bail was set at $1,090.
• 8:10 p.m.: A 44-year-old Carson City man was arrested in the 1500 block of East Long Street on suspicion of first-degree domestic battery. Bail was set at $3,000.
• 5 p.m.: A 21-year-old Carson City man was arrested in the 1500 block of North Lompa Lane on a failure-to-appear/traffic warrant out of Carson City. Bail was set at $215.
8:45 a.m.: Stephen Walton Shaw, 47, of Carson City was arrested in the 2100 block of Courtside Drive on suspicion of possession of methamphetamine, as well as on a fraudulent-use-of-a-credit-card warrant out of Carson City. According to Shaw’s arrest report, a deputy found a small amount of meth in his right front pocket while arresting him on the warrant. Total bail was set at $10,000.
10:15 a.m.: A 22-year-old Dayton woman was arrested at Carson Tahoe hospital on a failure-to-appear/counseling warrant out of Carson City. Bail was set at $1,000.
5:12 p.m.: A 52-year-old Dayton man was arrested at Prison Hill on suspicion of ex-felon in possession of firearm, contempt of court and criminal contempt. According to the man’s arrest report, a deputy responded to a report of a vehicle stuck on the top of the hill and saw the man carrying a short-barrel AR-15 rifle and a metal carrying case. The man reportedly said a stranger had handed the gun to him and told him to carry it to the top of the hill. The deputy learned that the man had a felony conviction, as well as that he was on an alternative-sentencing agreement. Total bail was set at $23,500.
The Nevada Appeal only names people arrested on suspicion of felonies, violent crimes and DUIs. Carson City Secret Witness will pay up to $2,500 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of people committing crimes. Anyone with information is asked to call 775-322-4900. The School Secret Witness number is 775-283-1799. Callers remain anonymous.