Carson City man convicted of Reno murder
February 20, 2014
Arturo Bolanos Jr. of Carson City will be sentenced for a gang-related murder in April in Reno.
He was convicted in the October 2011 shooting in the parking garage across Second Street from the Freight House District bar in downtown Reno.
Prosecutors said he used an AR15-style rifle with a laser sight to fire 12 rounds into an SUV whose driver was attempting to leave the garage. The victims were four men who had been involved in a gang-motivated fight with Bolanos' younger brother and cousin outside the bar.
Macario Ortiz died of a gunshot wound to the back. Enrique Montanez and Anthony Lopez were wounded. The fourth occupant of the vehicle was not hurt.
Prosecutors said Bolanos discarded the weapon and ran down Second Street, where he was detained by Reno police but later released.
Three days later, witnesses identified him. Bolanos was arrested 10 days later in Shasta County, Calif., after a traffic stop.
The jury deliberated five hours before returning the guilty verdicts Friday after a two-week trial in Washoe District Court. Bolanos was convicted of one count of murder, three counts of attempted murder and two counts of battery with a deadly weapon.
The murder conviction carries a maximum sentence of life without possible parole. Each of the attempted-murder counts carries up to 40 years in prison.
Judge Lidia Stiglich set sentencing for April 21.