Citizen’s Academy accepting applications for May 1 start
April 20, 2013
The Carson City Citizen's Academy is taking applications for its next session, which starts May 1.
"If you are interested in law enforcement or have wondered how the sheriff's office operates, this is an opportunity to experience the wide range of duties (officers perform)," Volunteer Coordinator Ken Smith told the Appeal in 2012.
"Participants will learn about patrol operations, arrest procedures, defensive tactics and units specializing in abatement, illegal drugs and reducing graffiti."
The academy is held from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays through June 26.
The academy is open to those 18 and older, although Smith advised it might be of particular interest to senior citizens. The class is free, but seating is limited.
The deadline for completed applications is April 30. More information and applications are available at the sheriff's office at 911 E. Musser St. or by calling Smith at 775-880-2020, ext. 41932.
A Nevada Appeal reporter attended the academy and wrote a series of articles based on the class, an example listed below.
• Oct. 5, 2012: SWAT team practices for Citizen's Academy
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe water managers may have to ‘spill’ water
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Update: Water receding in Dayton retention pond
- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office seeks information into battery thefts