City health department gets HIV prevention education grant
April 8, 2003
Carson City will begin studying ways to integrate human immunodeficiency virus-prevention activities into the city’s public heath service.
The city’s heath department received $30,000 through a grant from the Nevada State Health Division. The money will pay for a contractor to develop a plan for the city, said director Daren Winkelman.
The city does not currently have programs that address AIDS- or HIV-prevention activities, Winkelman.
The state offers education in Carson about the diseases, but the city is hoping to add the program as a way to become recognized by the state as a health authority. The designation will allow Carson to become eligible for more programs and funding, Winkelman said.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- 4 honored with American Indian Achievement Awards in Carson City
- SlotWorld in Carson City set to reopen this week
- Today: Yogurt Beach hosting fundraiser for Carson City, Dayton families of teens in rollover
- The Four Horsemen: Former Carson City veterans maintain bond
- Teri Vance: Fundraisers to help families of rollover victims